|
|
|
Groups seek judge's removal from drilling case
Court Watch News |
2010/08/03 04:57
|
pSeveral environmental groups have asked a federal appeals court to disqualify a judge from a lawsuit over the Obama administration's initial six-month moratorium on deep-water oil drilling./ppU.S. District Judge Martin Feldman overturned the temporary drilling ban in June and refused last month to withdraw from the case./ppIn a court filing Thursday, environmental groups supporting the moratorium asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to remove Feldman from the case because of his investments in several oil and gas companies. Feldman says he learned he owned Exxon Mobil stock a day before he ruled and sold it several hours before he issued the decision./ppLast month, a 5th Circuit panel rejected the government's bid to restore its six-month ban on issuing new permits for deep-water drilling and suspension of 33 existing drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico.
/p |
|
|
|
|
|
Seton Hall ex-coach Gonzalez pleads not guilty
Court Watch News |
2010/07/22 03:49
|
Former Seton Hall basketball coach Bobby Gonzalez pleaded not guilty Wednesday to shoplifting a satchel at an upscale shopping mall last month. Gonzalez spoke during the five-minute arraignment only to verify his address in Harrison, N.Y. His attorney, Anna Cominsky, entered the plea on his behalf. Neither commented after the proceeding. pGonzalez is accused of taking a satchel worth about $1,400 from the Polo Ralph Lauren store in The Mall at Short Hills on June 29. Police said he removed the sensor device from the satchel and walked out of the store without paying for it./ppAccording to a police report, the Polo store manager reported that the manager of a restaurant in the mall returned the satchel. The restaurant manager said someone had come into the eatery, left the satchel with the hostess and never returned./ppGonzalez faces criminal mischief and shoplifting charges; the shoplifting charge is punishable by up to five years in jail, according to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office. Gonzalez surrendered to police in Millburn on July 5 and has not had to post bail./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Chicago's tough new gun ordinance goes into effect
Court Watch News |
2010/07/12 04:58
|
pA new gun ordinance in Chicago that officials say is the strictest of its kind in the country went into effect on Monday./ppThe ordinance was pushed through quickly by Mayor Richard Daley and the City Council after the U.S. Supreme Court last month made the city's 28-year-old handgun ban unenforceable. The high court ruled that Americans have the right to have guns in their homes for protection./ppThe ordinance permits residents to have only one working gun at a time in their homes and prohibits them from stepping outside, even onto their porches or in their garages, with a handgun./ppFollowing the lead of Washington, D.C., which enacted a strict ordinance after the Supreme Court struck down its gun ban two years ago, Chicago also requires prospective gun owners to take a class and receive firearms training./ppChicago's ordinance also bans gun shops from setting up shop in the city and bars anyone convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs from owning a handgun./ppAlso starting Monday is a 90-day grace period in which residents who owned handguns illegally during the ban can register them without penalty./ppChicago's ordinance was widely criticized by gun rights advocates, who have said the city is simply trying to make it as difficult as it can for people to own guns and putting up unconstitutional roadblocks in their way. They promised lawsuits and last week, even before the ordinance went into effect, at least two lawsuits were filed challenging the constitutionality of the ordinance./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Ex NFL player Dillon pleads not guilty to DUI
Court Watch News |
2010/06/24 01:02
|
Former NFL running back Corey Dillon has pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor DUI charges stemming from his April arrest in Southern California. Dillon entered his pleas Monday in Malibu Superior Court.pThe former Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots running back was arrested early April 21 in Calabasas in northwestern Los Angeles County./ppSheriff's Lt. Rich Erickson says two deputies were driving north on Mulholland Drive when they saw a red Camaro with paper plates and two male occupants driving slowly behind them. The deputies pulled the car over and arrested Dillon on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol./ppOn May 1, Dillon was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence after an argument with his wife, but prosecutors declined to file charges in that case, citing insufficient evidence./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Woman pleads not guilty to shaking baby in '95
Court Watch News |
2010/06/08 09:27
|
pA west suburban Addison woman accused of violently shaking a 3-month-old baby pleaded not guilty nearly 15 years after she fled to avoid prosecution. /ppRosa Tellez, 43, was arrested last week in DuPage County. Police had stopped her for a traffic violation when they found she was wanted on a 1995 warrant. /ppTellez had been babysitting the infant, who was found with brain injuries. /ppInvestigators say Tellez left a note behind saying she was leaving the country for Mexico. The baby involved survived and is now 15 years old and living out of state. /p |
|
|
|
|
|
Court says feds not liable for immigrant death
Court Watch News |
2010/05/03 02:18
|
pThe Supreme Court says the family of a now-deceased immigrant who was denied medical care for cancer while in custody cannot sue federal medical officials for damages./ppSalvadoran immigrant Francisco Castaneda was denied a biopsy for a painful penis lesion while in prison in California, despite outside specialists' recommendations. He was later diagnosed with penile cancer, had his penis amputated and died./ppCastaneda's family sued the U.S. Public Health Service personnel who denied the biopsy. But the government says the law gives its medical personnel absolute immunity against lawsuits./ppFederal courts have refused to throw out the lawsuit. But Justice Sonia Sotomayor says the government's position is correct. She wrote the opinion for a unanimous court.
/p |
|
|
|
|
|
Jury in Palin e-mail case resumes deliberations
Court Watch News |
2010/04/28 08:45
|
pA federal jury has begun deliberating for a second day in the trial of a former Tennessee college student accused of hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account when she was a vice presidential candidate./ppThe panel worked in Knoxville for six hours Tuesday, then asked District Court Judge Thomas Phillips for a definition of access to the computer. He told jurors that's their decision./ppThe defense claims 22-year-old David Kernell had no criminal intent in gaining access to Palin's e-mail account while prosecutors say he was trying to derail her 2008 campaign./ppKernell is charged with identity theft, wire fraud, unauthorized access to a computer and obstruction of justice. If convicted on all charges, he faces a maximum possible prison sentence of 50 years./p |
|
|
|
|