|
|
|
Weight Watchers takes rival to court over ad
Headline Topics |
2010/01/19 09:24
|
pWeight Watchers International is suing rival weight-loss company Jenny Craig over ads it says are misleading and deceptive./ppWeight Watchers, based in New York, says in the suit that Jenny Craig is running ads that refer to a study comparing Weight Watchers current weight-loss program and Jenny Craig's pre-packaged meals system./ppBut Weight Watchers says no such study has been done and the claims in the ads are not supported by fact or science./ppThe lawsuit has been filed in the U.S. District Court in New York City. It asks for an injunction and damages along with a ban of the ads.
/p |
|
|
|
|
|
Ex-radio host pleads guilty in swindle
Headline Topics |
2010/01/14 08:09
|
pFormer radio talk show host Gregg T. Rennie pleaded guilty in US District Court in Boston to charges related to a multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme, and now faces up to up to 20 years in prison on each of 13 counts of securities fraud and one count of wire fraud./ppProsecutors said the 44-year-old Quincy resident stole at least $3.2 million from victims, including elderly retirees, a church congregation saving for a new building, and listeners of his radio show, “Your Money.’’/ppRennie told investors he could offer a guaranteed rate of return in risk-free federal housing certificates and annuities. But instead of investing the money, he used it to fund his expenses, prosecutors said. To conceal the fraud, Rennie made periodic payments to some victims, showed them prospectuses, and sent victims bogus invoices./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Michael Jackson Cause of Death Updated
Headline Topics |
2010/01/12 09:39
|
pLos Angeles authorities have officially changed the death certificate belonging to late King of Pop, Michael Jackson to reflect an exact cause of death./ppUpdated due to the completion of a lengthy investigation, Jackson's cause of death has now been labeled a murder due to 'acute Propofol intoxication' via an 'intravenous injection from another'./ppJackson's original death certificate was filed July 7./ppWhile the official cause of death has been revealed, embattled Dr. Conrad Murray remains a free man./ppSources say the Jackson family, specifically Joe Jackson, still believe more than one person is responsible for the entertainer's death./ppJoe won't give up on getting justice for his son and a lawsuit is his focus, a source told Daily Mail./pp
/p |
|
|
|
|
|
Guilty pleas in June standoff, shootout in ND
Headline Topics |
2009/12/28 10:14
|
Four people involved in a June standoff in North Dakota that followed an Alabama prison break have pleaded guilty to charges including attempted murder, robbery and reckless endangerment.pJoshua Southwick, Angela Mink and her brother, Ashton Mink, entered pleas Tuesday./ppProsecutors say Ashton Mink's wife, Jacquelin, pleaded guilty last week./ppAuthorities say Angela and Jacquelin Mink helped the men escape from an Alabama prison in May. Southwick was serving time for murder and burglary; Mink for attempted murder./ppThe four are believed to have eluded authorities in at least seven states until a June 5 video store robbery in North Dakota. They fled, holed up in a nearby ranch outbuilding and were arrested after shootouts with law enforcement./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Not guilty plea for first-round pick DE James
Headline Topics |
2009/11/16 09:50
|
pA not guilty plea has been entered for former Vikings first-round draft pick Erasmus James, who is charged with disorderly conduct in a Madison bar fight./ppJames was arrested last weekend after police says he lost his temper when a bartender refused to serve him after closing time. Police say James punched a friend in the face./ppThe 27-year-old James stood silently Thursday in Dane County Circuit Court and a not guilty plea was entered for him on the misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge./ppJames also is charged with felony battery. A hearing on that charge is scheduled for Nov. 30./ppAs conditions of his release, James isn't allowed to return to the bar or consume alcohol. James' attorney, Steve Mays, declined to comment./ppA former Wisconsin standout at defensive end, James played three injury-plagued seasons for the Vikings after being picked 18th overall in 2005. He was traded to Washington last year and played in five games before being cut in December./p |
|
|
|
|
|
Beazer Homes CEO McCarthy may face civil charges
Headline Topics |
2009/11/16 02:43
|
pFederal regulators have notified Beazer Homes USA Inc. that its top executive could face civil charges over incentive compensation./ppThe notification comes more than a year after the Atlanta-based homebuilder settled a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into its financial statements./ppBeazer Homes said in a regulatory filing Monday that SEC staff issued a so-called Wells notice to CEO Ian McCarthy. That means the staff intends to recommend civil charges against McCarthy for possible securities violations. Recipients of the notices can respond to the allegations before the commission decides on any enforcement action./ppBeazer said McCarthy intends to respond to the notice, which is not a formal allegation nor a finding of wrongdoing./ppBeazer said the SEC staff recommended action against McCarthy to collect certain incentive compensation and other amounts allegedly due under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. The company's filing did not disclose how much compensation is involved, or other details about the disputed pay.
/p |
|
|
|
|
|
Dolton police officers beat up innocent man, lawsuit claims
Headline Topics |
2009/10/12 10:10
|
A federal lawsuit filed Friday accuses Dolton police officers of beating up an innocent man and lying about it.
The suit also alleges the Village of Dolton and its police department tried to cover up the crime.
David Smith's nose was broken and he had a concussion when he went to Ingalls Hospital after being released by Dolton police.
Smith, 29, was acquitted of disorderly conduct charges after prosecutors admitted an officer changed his story on the eve of trial, the suit says.
Among village and police officials named in the suit is Dolton Inspector General Bob Shaw, a candidate for Cook County assessor who said Friday he was not familiar with Smith's case. The lawsuit says Shaw turned a blind eye to repeated instances of police misconduct.
Smith was arguing with a friend in the parking lot of Shark's restaurant on July 26 when officers slammed him on the hood of a squad car, punched him and threw him to the pavement, the lawsuit says.
Police handcuffed him and beat him, telling his friends to look away as they beat him, the lawsuit says. Someone called 911 to report police beating him, the lawsuit says. Police took a small bag of marijuana from a girl in Smith's group, the lawsuit says.
At the police station, Smith was thrown on a cell floor and lost consciousness, and his requests for medical attention were ignored, according to the lawsuit. Police ultimately charged him with possession of marijuana -- the bag taken from his friend, he said.
I kept asking to be taken to the hospital, my nose was broken, and they didn't do anything, Smith said.
Police said Smith had struck himself on the cell door during processing. But doctors said his injuries could not have been caused by that.
Dolton police reportedly resisted turning over 911 tapes, videotapes of the lockup or police reports until they were ordered to release the items by a judge.
a href=http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1819714,CST-NWS-dolton12.articleRead more.../a |
|
|
|
|